Learning and Thinking Institutes for ELA bring new life and vigor to classrooms where both teachers and students may have been feeling more than a bit weary and over-taxed by evolving educational initiatives and programs. If it’s time for you to take charge of the change in your teaching life, consider this opportunity.
The institutes, facilitated by Technology and Innovation in Education (TIE), will immerse middle school and high school English instructors in hands-on strategies designed to impact student learning. In addition, each session will help teachers hone the skills they need to better prepare students for the challenges of coursework and learning situations that require critical thinking skills.
Participants will receive access to online guides packed with lessons and strategies that will enhance classroom instruction. Materials have been developed by the National Math and Science Initiative’s Laying the Foundation Teacher Training Program.
Training Benefits for Middle School or High School English instructors:
- Focused on meeting the specific content needs of English instructors
- Features hands-on, engaging but challenging learning activities
- Packed with classroom-ready tools that align with Common Core State Standards
- Filled with content tips and teaching techniques that encourage critical thinking among students
- Focused on lessons and strategies that encourage students to hone their higher-level thinking skills
- Gain access to materials and resources available online only to institute participants
- Be offered the opportunity of two letter-graded graduate credits (at participant’s expense)
(FYI: The institutes modules are sequentials. Each year’s training includes four modules. Therefore, a contract for one year would include four days of training plus travel and planning. See module descriptors.)
Timeframe: 4, 1 day trainings (follow up as coaching or mentoring is an option)
SD FfT Alignment: Supports Components 1a, 1e, 2b, 3b, 3c, 3d