Oceti Sakowin Essential Understandings Training (lesson design, modeling, OSEU overview)
In this training, teachers become familiar with the newly revised (2016) Oceti Sakowin Essential Understandings (OSEU) as well as the large collection of Oceti Sakowin Elder interviews archived on the WoLakota Project website (www.wolakotaproject.org ). They will also become familiar with the Inquiry Design Model (IDM) for lesson planning. Participating educators may use newly gained knowledge of all of these along with South Dakota’s set of Exemplar SS & OSEU Lesson plans and Social Studies/OSEU “Connector Statements” to construct lesson plans in the IDM format (or another appropriate formats) that link to both South Dakota content standards and the Oceti Sakowin Essential Understandings.
This training can be designed to meet the particular needs of any school or district. It can include an OSEU overview (1/2 day, full day, or series of professional learning days). It can include OSEU lesson modeling / conferencing with individual or groups of teachers (ongoing, scheduled in advance as facilitators work with individual teachers to prepare lessons for modeling). It may also include community awareness sessions in which facilitators give an overview to parents and community members and answer questions about this cultural work being initiated within a school and community.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Gain a deeper understanding of the Oceti Sakowin Essential Understandings (OSEU).
- Engage in rich discussion with other SD educators around the implementation of the OSEU in content areas and grade levels in which they currently teach.
- Become familiar with the Inquiry Design Method (IDM) lesson format in order to use the SD IDM Exemplar lessons and be able to design their own.
- Develop and design lessons that fit their current teaching assignment using the IDM format or any other appropriate format fitting to their current work.
- Learn from modeled lessons and conferencing.
- Gain confidence in incorporating the OSEU into classroom practice
At a Glance
- Content Areas: Cultural Work, Developing Culturally Responsive Approaches, Instructional Strategies
- Audience: Administrators, Educators, After School Providers, Community, Business, SPED
- Time Frame: half day, full day, 1+ days
- Training Delivery Method: your location, regional workshop
- Device Requirements: No Device Needed, Laptop