Developing Mastery or Competency Based Grading Practices
What are we willing to accept as evidence of mastery or competency? How would you finish these statements – Mastery is… My students are literate in my subject when they….? If you struggle to complete these statements, this session will help you. Grading only on achievement is a practice that is gaining in popularity. This model focuses solely on “students’ proficiency on well-defined course objectives.” What are you willing to change to move to mastery or competency based reporting?
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Define mastery or competency based assessment.
- Determine what you are willing to change in your grading practices.
- Develop a list of useful formative assessment strategies.
- Determine as a district what you are willing to accepts as evidence of mastery or competency
At a Glance
- Content Areas: Customized Learning
- Audience: Administrators, Educators
- Time Frame: 1+ days
- Training Delivery Method: your location
- Device Requirements: Personal Computing Device