Academic Language Learning
What is keeping your students from becoming higher order thinkers? Training them to think, discuss, and write with specific academic language will move students to higher order thinking. This one-day training includes practical strategies in reciprocal teaching, creating environments for student academic conversation and productive academic talk. The training provides many examples and strategies for the instruction of expanding answers using academic language while writing/talking, making claims with strong supporting evidence, and encouraging collaborative academic conversation, which is purposeful, intentional, and explicit. This training applies to all teachers of all disciplines.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Learn many strategies to help students learn academic words in their content.
- Practice many strategies to help students to think with higher academic language.
- Practice many strategies to help students discuss with higher academic language.
- Practice many strategies to help students write with higher academic language.
At a Glance
- Content Areas: Cultural Work, Instructional Strategies, Literacy, School Improvement
- Audience: Administrators, Educators, SPED
- Time Frame: 1+ days
- Training Delivery Method: your location, regional workshop
- Device Requirements: Laptop